When certificates are ordered, to validate that the applicant owns, or has legal right to use, the domain name featured in the order, a validation email is sent out to one of the following email addresses:
- Any email address featured in the domain name WHOIS details.
- Please note that this only applies to the Port 53 WHOIS service. Some domain providers don’t show email addresses via this service. This is usually done for anti-spam reasons. It is not possible to use email addresses that are shown in web WHOIS services. The most notable type of domain name that this affects are .au domain names.
- Any of the following Level 3 email addresses
- An example of a Level 3 address for “secure.hosts.net.nz” would be “firstname.lastname@example.org”
- Any of the following Level 2 email addresses:
- An example of a Level 2 address for “secure.hosts.net.nz” would be “email@example.com”